A lot of houses in Ireland are prone to condensation due to our typical Irish weather and poor ventilation.
It can be annoying but it can also cause damage and mould growth in your home.
Mould is a direct effect of condensation. Mould is usually found on finished surfaces like wallpaper and paint work, and will be found in corners where there is poor air flow. This mould can be very dangerous to your health, and can give off a musty, unpleasant smell.
Condensation can appear on cold walls, and by windows where it is easily spotted, but it can also occur in hidden areas such as roof spaces and under the sub-floor, where it can lead to dry rot or wet rot.
Condensation usually occurs in the winter months as ventilation of the house is usually low, due to windows and doors being closed, and windows and door gaps draught proofed which reduces air flow.
“Drying clothes on radiators can also cause condensation.”
The symptoms of condensation are:
- Water droplets on cold surfaces like glass and paint,
- Damp wall paper,
- Mould growth.
How to fix condensation.
- The first thing to do is get rid of any existing mould or stains. This can be best achieved by the using products like MouldX which are available in your local Expert Hardware store. The MouldXcleaners will kill, clean and remove existing mould growth. MouldX paint, barrier, stain block and additive can then be used to prevent further growth and damage
- Improve ventilation by installing a ventilation block or install an electrical ventilation fan.
- Ensure that some form of heating is turned on in the offending area periodically. The use of thermostatic radiator valves are ideal for this.
- Remove excess moisture sources – e.g. paraffin heaters or indoor drying of clothes.
- Insulate cold surfaces.
- Prevent possible water penetration.Check all outside area for cracks and gaps that are allowing water to penetrate the building. Ensure all gutters and drainpipes can run free and are not clogged with leaves and debris.
- Install a humidifier like the Aero 360 which is an excellent product, needs no electricity and is available in your local Expert Hardware store.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org, or pop into your local Expert Hardware and ask our Experts.
Signup for our newsletter for great offers, store news and latest blogs.