Carbon Monoxide Awareness week
Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week promotes the dangers associated with carbon monoxide and aims to educate the general public on how to prevent it.
Causes of CO Poisoning
You can be in danger if dangerous amounts of Carbon Monoxide are accumulated in the home.
This happens as a result of any combination of the following:
- Faulty or damaged heating appliances
- Heating appliance not maintained or serviced
- Rooms not properly ventilated
- Blocked chimneys or flues
- Indoor use of a barbecue grill or outdoor heater
- Poor installation of heating appliances
- Improper operation of heating appliances
- Property alterations or home improvements, which reduce ventilation
- Running engines such as vehicles or lawnmowers in garages
- Using cooking appliances for heating purposes
Symptoms of CO Poisoning
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be similar to those caused by other illnesses such as a cold or flu.
- Unexplained headaches, chest pains or muscular weakness
- Sickness, diarrhoea or stomach pains
- Sudden dizziness when standing up
What to Do?
If anyone in your house has any of the symptoms outlined above, get fresh air immediately, then go to your doctor and ask him/her to check for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Stop using the appliance immediately and do not use it again until it has been checked by a registered installer.
Precautions that can be taken
Precautions can be taken in every home, just fit a Carbon Monoxide alarm in every room that you use fuel burning appliances. If the appliances are located in more than one room, then an alarm should be fitted in each of these rooms.
Call into your local store TODAY for Expert advice on how you can protect your family all year round!!!!